The First Baptist Church of Elkin has been a ministry presence in the Elkin community for well over one hundred years. Organized May 18, 1889, the church has met in a number of locations, first meeting on Elk Spur Street when it was unpaved, then on West Main Street across from the Elkin Post Office beginning in 1903. In June of 1955, the church moved to its current location at the corner of Market and Gwyn where it overlooks the town to which it is called to be the presence of Christ. Regardless of where it gathers to worship and learn, FBC understands that its future has more to do with where it scatters to do ministry.
For more information about the history of FBC, see Hazel Byrd’s history of the church titled “First Century,” available in the church’s library